Australasian Chapter of Addiction Medicine
Welcome to the AChAM homepage
The AChAM President is Dr Matthew Frei FAChAM.
Matthew is the Clinical Head of DACAS's South Eastern Alcohol & Drug Services, the Head of Clinical Services at Turning Point Alcohol & Drug Centre and Eastern Health Alcohol & Drug Services, and an Adjunct Lecturer at Monash University.
Education Officer (training related enquiries)
Ph: +61 2 8247 6296
Executive Officer (all other enquiries)
Ph: +61 2 9256 5484
News for the Chapter
- Committee representatives sought! The
1. A Coordinator of Advanced Training on the AChAM
Education Committee: The new Education Committee member will be in charge of
approvals and certifications for Addiction Medicine trainees. The Education
Committee meets 3 times per year, twice via teleconference and once Face to
Face at the RACP Sydney Offices. AT coordination duties are carried out
throughout the year.
2. A representative on the College’s CPD
Committee: The CPD Committee has been established to ensure the
College CPD programs meet the professional development needs of the Fellowship.
The Committee is scheduled to meet 5 times in 2015 – 3 teleconferences and 2
face to face meeting in Sydney. The first teleconference will take place on 5
The term of office on both Committees is of two years. Interested
Fellows are invited to complete an EOI form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org
by Thursday, 4 December 2014.
- Register now! International Medicine in Addiction 2015 (IMiA15), Melbourne on 20-22 March 2015. Visit the Conference page at this link. Early Bird registrations will close on 18 December. Poster abstracts will be accepted until 15 December.
- Addiction 2015 Conference hosted by the Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association - 20-22 May 2015 (new date)
- Recognition of Addiction Medicine as a Vocational Scope of Practice in New Zealand: the RACP has submitted the Stage 2 application.
- Addiction Medicine Online Modules: a suite of modules, intended to update healthcare professionals on the epidemiology and evidence base for current treatment approaches to addiction disorders, is available to the medical community free of charge through the RACP's eLearning portal. These resources include:
- A suite of 8 modules developed by Fellows of the AChAM with the support of NSW Health;
- A module on Smoking Cessation for Patients with Complex Disorders developed with a grant from the RHCE Program.
The modules, which assume a basic level of knowledge of drug and alcohol problems, can be undertaken in multiple sittings.
- Find a Fellow: Need an AChAM Fellow for patient assessment? Here is a list of Fellows who accept referrals.
- Presentations from the Medicine in Addiction Conference 2013 held in Sydney on 15-17 March 2013 can be found at this link.
- Results of the joint Methadone survey undertaken by Fellows of the Australasian Chapters of Addiction and Palliative Medicine and the Faculty of Pain Medicine, ANZCA. Download survey results
- Positions vacant: Opportunities exist for Addiction Specialists to consider a career move to Tasmania
- Relevant RACP policies, such as the RACP statement on the Use of Sustained Release Formulations of Naltrexone in Opioid Dependence, and on the Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre can be found on this page.