Gerry Murphy Prize
Regional Committees in the Australian States and Territories select a trainee of the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine to make a presentation at the AFPHM Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) or the RACP Congress.
The Gerry Murphy Prize was made possible due to a generous bequest to support an annual prize to the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine from the late Dr Gerry Murphy AFPHM.
Regional competition dates
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be trainees currently enrolled in the AFPHM training program
What is the prize?
Regional finalists selected to represent their region at the national competition to be held at the RACP Congress will receive:
- Full trainee-rate registration for Congress
- Return economy airfares for travel to and from home town to the Congress
- Invitation to the AFPHM President's Dinner at Congress
The national recipient of the Gerry Murphy Prize will receive:
- A certificate signed by the AFPHM President
- "The People's Health" books written by Faculty Fellow, Dr Milton Lewis (Volume 1: Public Health in Australia 1788 – 1950; Volume 2: Public Health in Australia 1950 – Present)
What is the application process?
- Read the Terms & Conditions (Prizes)
- Submit your abstract following the provided guidelines via email to email@example.com
What is the selection process?
- Regional presentations are scored using:
- The criteria for the Oral Presentation Assessment which forms part of the AFPHM training program and the outcome may be used as part of the trainee assessment
- Additional criteria relating to Quality of Project and Importance of Finding
- It is the responsibility of the trainee to lodge the assessment if they wish to submit it as part of their overall assessment.
- Presentations at the national competition will also be scored using the above criteria but the outcome will not be included as part of the trainee's overall assessment.
- Presentations must be no longer than 10 minutes and up to a further 5 minutes will be allocated for questions.
- Judges will take into consideration the extent to which the trainee covers background, objectives, methodology, results and implications. If there are no submissions of a sufficiently high standard, the prize will not be awarded.
- There will be a minimum of three judges who are AFPHM Fellows for the regional and national competitions.
- The Regional representatives will be announced at the end of the regional competition.
- A Regional Representative may receive the national prize more than once.
- The recipient of the national prize will be announced at the end of the session and the presentation will take place at the AFPHM President's Dinner.
| Australian Capital Territory
| New South Wales
||Wednesday, 10 October 2018
| Northern Territory
||Saturday, 27 October 2018
| South Australia
||Tuesday, 13 November 2018
| Western Australia
For more information on the Gerry Murphy Prize, you may contact the RACP Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org