Use the below text as template. A range of policy recommendations have been listed as examples that you can include.
To: Visit the Australian Parliament House website to find your local members email address.
Subject: Commit to Healthcare this election
CC: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Dear The Hon. <FIRST NAME> <LASTNAME> MP,
I am a local <YOUR PROFESSION> in your electorate.
I wish to bring to your attention The Royal Australasian College of Physician’s pre-election statement, which sets out the College’s policy priorities (https://bit.ly/racp-election-22).
We are calling on political representatives to Commit to Healthcare (https://www.racp.edu.au/commit-to-healthcare) by delivering on these policy priorities in order to achieve quality, future-focused healthcare for all Australians.
I am passionate about ensuring:
- That Telehealth appointments cover specialist care, at a length required by patients. This can be done by:
- Reinstating MBS items for telehealth consultations by phone on a permanent basis
- Funding videoconferencing packages for priority populations (including aged care and people with disabilities) in rural and remote areas
- That the healthcare workforce is appropriately funded and safe by:
- Addressing medical specialist workforce issues and patient care management
- Supporting the healthcare workforce through strategies for flexible training, work hours and parental leave
- That all populations and parts of the healthcare sector impacted by COVID-19 are adequately and urgently resourced by:
- Investing in all parts of the healthcare sector impacted by COVID-19.
- Investing in healthcare for communities with poor access to healthcare prior to the pandemic and made worse by COVID-19
- That the healthcare system is better prepared for extreme weather impacts and that its emissions are reduced by:
- Creating and funding a National Climate Change and Health Strategy, to build climate resilience within the healthcare system
- Include a plan to decarbonise healthcare and achieve net zero emissions in healthcare by 2040
- That children and young people are supported to catch up from the setbacks of the COVID-19 pandemic by:
- Appointing a National Chief Paediatrician and establishing a national recovery taskforce for children and young people
- Funding the National Children's Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy to increase Commonwealth support for kids with additional needs
- Implementing universal access to early childhood education for 3 year old's
I would appreciate you responding to me with your commitments on these issues.