AChAM Communiqué May, August and December 2018
Read the highlights of key issues discussed as part of the 02-2018, 03-2018 and 04-2018 meetings, held on 31 May, 8 August and 7 December.
AChAM Committee Membership Changes
The following Committee members were appointed/re-appointed in the May 2018 elections for two-year terms:
- Dr Nick Lintzeris was appointed as the President-elect
- Prof Adrian Dunlop was re-appointed as the NSW / ACT Branch Chair
- Dr Richard O’Regan was re-appointed as the WA Branch Chair
- A/Prof Kees Nydam was re-appointed as the QLD Branch Chair
- Dr Vicki Macfarlane was re-appointed as the NZ Branch Chair
- A/Prof Michael McDonough was appointed as the SA / NT Branch Chair
- Dr Noel Plumley was re-appointed as the VIC / TAS Branch Chair
- Dr Christopher Tremonti was appointed as the Trainee Representative
The following members remain on the Committee:
- Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones as President
- Dr Gilbert Whitton as the Training Committee Representative
- Dr Tony Gill as the APSAD Representative
Policy and Advocacy
The Chapter was active in the policy and advocacy space throughout 2018 with activity including:
- Advocating to the Chief Health Officer and Deputy Director-General at the Queensland Department of Health for greater access to take-home naloxone in Queensland.
- Attending the National Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Dependence Summit in May 2018.
- Participation in the Australian Department of Health’s Prescription Opioid Stakeholder Discussion in June 2018.
- Participation in a forum on developing a National Treatment Framework for Alcohol and other Drugs, hosted by the University of New South Wales’s Drug Policy Modelling Program.
- Participation in the Australian Department of Health’s National Alcohol Strategy Roundtable in July 2018.
- Attending the Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia (SHPA) Leadership Forum in July 2018, which aimed to identify strategies to reduce harm from prescription opioids and build collaborations through which to develop and implement potential mitigating measures.
- Participation in the Victorian Government’s External Advisory Group on SafeScript throughout the year.
- Supporting the development of a College submission to the Food Regulation Standing Committee on the policy options for pregnancy warning labels on packaged alcoholic beverages.
- Supporting the development of a College submission to the National Tobacco Strategy Consultation.
- Supporting the development of a College submission on the SA Government's proposed Controlled Substances (Youth Treatment Orders) Amendment Bill.
- Advocating in support of the medically supervised injecting centre trial in North Richmond.
- Advocating in support of the inclusion of Gaming Disorder in the 11th Edition of the International Classification of Disease (ICD-11).
The Chapter Committee has finalised its Narrative Statement, a piece of work developed in collaboration with the College Marketing and Communications team which aims to describe the Chapter and what members of the Chapter do. It is expected that the AChAM Narrative Statement will be released in 2019.
Fellows’ Update at the APSAD Conference
The Chapter held a well-attended and productive evening meeting for Fellows and trainees at the 2018 APSAD Conference in Auckland.
Awards and prizes
Trainee Research Project Prize
Dr Xiu Lim was awarded the 2018 AChAM Research Project Prize for her project titled Hepatitis C knowledge, readiness for treatment, subsequent patient experience and side effects of direct acting antivirals.
Dr Martyn-Lloyd-Jones, President
Australasian Chapter of Addiction Medicine