AChPM Committee Communiqué February and July 2020
The following communiqué highlights the key issues discussed as part of the 01- and 02-2020 AChPM Committee meetings held on 18 February and 5 June 2020.
AChPM Committee Workplan 2020-2022
The Committee discussed its work plan, which will run for two years for the first time. The 2-year workplan includes holding a pilot Spiritualty Training Workshop (on hold due to COVID-19), supporting the ANZSPM Workforce Working Party, establishing AChPM Committee Awards and advocating for improved education on opioid prescribing in end of life care patients.
AChPM member roles and responsibilities
In early June 2020, the Committee defined its representation on other College Committees as follows:
- AChPM President Dr Michelle Gold will act as the AChPM Representative on the AMD Council and on the Training Committee in Palliative Medicine.
- Associate Professor Peter Poon will act as the AChPM Representative on the College Policy and Advocacy Council.
- Professor Greg Crawford will remain as the AChPM Representative on the College Council.
Policy and Advocacy consultations and submissions
Chapter Committee members made contributions to several RACP policy and advocacy submissions during the first quarter of 2020, including:
- changes to the National Cancer Control Indicators website and the upcoming Council Cancer optimal care pathways refresh project
- cross-College consultations such as the submission to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety – the impact of COVID-19 on the aged care
The Chapter Committee is in the final stages of implementing two awards:
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Discipline of Palliative Medicine
- Award for the Best Trainee Research Project submitted in a calendar year
The Committee will circulate the details of the awards and how to nominate once the awards have been established.
Chapter Narrative Statement
The AChPM Marketing and Advocacy toolkit has been finalised. The Toolkit includes a narrative statement, brochure, PowerPoint and letterhead templates. The aim of the statements and associated advocacy material is to support the Chapter in having a consistent and simple way to talk about its value to key audiences.
The next AChPM Committee meeting will be via video conference on Friday 14 August 2020.
Dr Michelle Gold, President
Australasian Chapter of Palliative Medicine