PCHD Policy & Advocacy Committee mid-year communiqué 2018
The following communiqué highlights the key activities of the Paediatrics & Child Health Division Policy & Advocacy Committee (PPAC) for the first half of 2018.
Following the College election cycle, I have begun my first term as PPAC Chair from May 2018 – May 2020.
I would like to welcome new members:
- Dr Peter Wallis – PCHD Fellow resident in Australia
- Prof Graham Vimpani – PCHD Fellow, CCCH
- A/Prof John Sinn – PCHD Fellow, Neonatology representative
- Dr Susan Woolfenden – PCHD Fellow, Advocacy representative
View the membership of the PPAC.
- Inequities in Child Health: I am pleased to advise that the Inequities in Child Health position statement was launched at College Congress on 14 May 2018 with National Children’s Commissioner, Mrs Megan Mitchell. I would like to thank Professor Sharon Goldfeld, and Dr Susan Woolfenden, as co-lead Fellows and the working group for their hard work and effort to have this completed.
- Early Childhood: The position statement highlights a number of policy priorities which are vital to improving early childhood development outcomes in Australia and New Zealand. The launch of the Position Statement will provide a range of advocacy opportunities.
- Indigenous Child Health: Scheduled for launch in early 2019.
- Genital Examination of Young Girls: PPAC reviewed and updated the document.
- Circumcision of infant males: The Committee is commissioning a literature review to examine recent research in this area and consider whether this should lead to a review of our current position.
The PPAC have contributed to numerous PCHD policy and advocacy outcomes in the last six months, which include:
Submissions and letters
- Letter to the Ethics Centre providing feedback on the Proposed Amended Terms of Reference for the independent Marketing in Australia of Infant Formula Tribunal, June 2017
- RACP submission to the National Disability Insurance Scheme Costs, Productivity Commission Position Paper, July 2017
- RACP submission to the Inquiry into perinatal services in Victoria, August 2017
- RACP submission to the Inquiry into the provision of services under the National Disability Insurance Scheme Early Childhood Early Intervention approach, August 2017
- RACP submission to the FSANZ consultation paper on infant formula products for special dietary requirements, September 2017
- RACP submission to the National Guideline for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) assessment, November 2017
- RACP submission to the Inquiry into Support for New Parents and Babies in NSW, December 2017
- RACP Pre-Budget Submission 2018/19, January 2018
- RACP submission to the Newcastle CBD Liquor Licence Conditions Review, January 2018
- RACP Tasmanian Election Statement 2018, February 2018
- RACP Submission: Consultation on the Australian Draft National Alcohol Strategy 2018-2016, February 2018
- RACP South Australian Election Statement, March 2018
- RACP email submission to revised National Guideline for ASD assessment, March 2018
- RACP submission to National Children’s Commissioner report: Australia’s progress in implementing the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Children, May 2018
- RACP submission to the Food Regulation Standing Committee (FRSC) Pregnancy warning labels on alcoholic beverages public consultation.
See all other recent PCHD submissions, position statements and media.
Your feedback and queries are always welcomed. Get in touch at email@example.com
Dr Pat Tuohy, Chair
Paediatrics & Child Health Division Policy & Advocacy Committee