What are the professional standards and behaviours expected of RACP members?
The College has developed curriculum, policies and guidelines that articulate standards and behaviour expected of Fellows and Trainees in the conduct of their professional duties. These include:
Professional Qualities Curriculum
This curriculum outlines learning objectives and associated knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviours required and used by all physicians and paediatricians within Australia and New Zealand regardless of their specialty including:
- respect for and acknowledgement of professional contributions of all others in the workplace, including office staff and employees.
- no tolerance in the workplace of unacceptable behaviour including bullying, discrimination and sexual harassment.
- supporting colleagues who are affected by unacceptable behaviour.
See Respectful Behaviour in College Training Programs Statement (PDF 314KB)
Supporting Physicians' Professionalism and Performance Guide
A framework which is based on the Professional Qualities Curriculum and describes professional behaviours to support physician performance for safe, high quality practice. Examples of behaviours related to physician training and practice include:
- providing regular, constructive feedback (to learners) without personalising issues.
- being collegial and professional in dealings with members of department or practice.
- working effectively and cooperatively with colleagues in other areas to ensure that patient care is seamless.
RACP Code of Conduct
The RACP Code of Conduct (PDF 142KB) defines expectations of Directors and Members in how they show respect for others including:
- acting honestly
- treating all other persons fairly and with dignity, courtesy and respect
- not using offensive language or behaviour in the workplace
- not engaging in any form of unlawful discrimination
- not engaging in any form of bullying or harassment or physical or verbal conduct, which a reasonable person would deem to be unwelcome, offensive, humiliating, or intimidating