Eric Susman Prize
Nominations extended to 5:00 pm AEDT, Tuesday 9 October 2018.
Named in honour of Dr Eric Susman, this prestigious award is offered by the College for best contribution to the knowledge of any branch of internal medicine.
Terms & Conditions (Prizes)
Note: A correction to the five-year period covering the nominee's published works considered for the award – 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2017.
Nominees must be:
- a Fellow of The Royal Australasian College of Physicians, its Faculties or Chapters
- nominated by a Fellow or trainee of the RACP
Nominees must not:
- submit an application on their own behalf
The prize for The Eric Susman Prize recipient includes:
- The Eric Susman Medal
- Return economy airfares and accommodation to attend the presentation at RACP Congress
- Read the Terms & Conditions (Prizes)
- Submit a nomination in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, including:
- a completed nomination form that addresses the selection criteria
- Supporting documentation
- The contribution for which the Fellow is nominated for the 2018 prize must have appeared as published work during the five-year period between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2017. “Published work” is defined as generally available to the profession by means of either books or articles published in recognised scientific journals.
- The nominator is required to identify two key pieces of published work from the five year period that highlight the individual’s contribution to research and the impact that this research has had.
- The nominee must have strong ongoing links with Australia or New Zealand and must be the major contributor to any paper or piece of work identified.
- The Committee will take into consideration whether:
- the work has a strong and direct bearing on clinical medicine and contains a component of patient care; and
- the nominee is an ordinary Fellow rather than a person admitted to Fellowship by a special provision.
- The nominator should give an appreciation and evaluation of the contribution of the nominee over the relevant period. This must include details of the contribution made by the person nominated in the field of internal medicine (research, teaching or clinical medicine), and refer especially to the originality of the research and the standing of the nominee in his or her branch of medicine. The assessment of the contribution of the nominee in relation to others in the field is emphasised as being an essential part of the nomination.
- The nominator is also to provide information around the translation into clinical practice and impact.
- Nominators are asked to indicate the best articles in support of the nominee.
The GAC may choose not to award The Eric Susman Prize if they do not receive nominations that sufficiently meet the criteria.
For more information on The Eric Susman Prize, please contact the RACP Foundation at email@example.com