Supervisor Professional Development Program
The Supervisor Professional Development Program (SPDP) is a high-quality training program for final year Advanced Trainees and Fellows who supervise trainees in RACP-accredited positions.
You can choose any order to complete all 3 SPDP workshops via online forums, face-to-face or virtually.
SPDP 1 | Educational Leadership and Management
Educational and leadership management incorporates the overarching themes of developing trainee expertise and using coaching techniques to improve feedback practice.
This workshop focuses on delivering feedback using 2 frameworks, the GROW model and the 4 areas of feedback. By using these models, supervisors can facilitate change and growth in trainees towards expert performance.
- Demonstrate strong educational leadership.
- Plan and manage for effective supervision.
- Advocate for enhanced support for trainees.
- Self-reflect on supervisory performance.
SPDP 1 booklet
SPDP 2 | Learning Environment and Culture
Learning environment and culture provides a range of teaching strategies to manage and overcome challenges supervisors face in a complex healthcare setting. These strategies include planning for learning, differentiated instructions for multi-level groups, and using teaching techniques such as questioning.
This workshop explores some cultural aspects that may impact on learning, including the hidden curriculum, tribalism and the need for effective role modelling.
- Understand how to establish an effective learning environment.
- Recognise the importance of planning for learning.
- Define and model professional behaviour.
- Optimise opportunities for learning.
SPDP 2 booklet
SPDP 3 | Teaching and Facilitating Learning for Safe Practice
Teaching and facilitating learning for safe practice is a complex and necessary part of physician training. The challenges of undertaking work-based learning and assessment along with the complexities of the healthcare environment are many and varied.
This workshop offers techniques and solutions to these challenges that will help supervisors in their vital role.
- Use safe and effective work-based assessments/activities to guide learning.
- Make evidence-based assessment on trainee performance.
- Use evidence-based tools to improve supervisory practice.
SPDP 3 booklet
AFOEM and AFPHM workshop booklets
SPDP is a 'Category 2: Reviewing Performance' activity in the 2020 MyCPD Framework. You earn 3 CPD credits per hour.