Supervisor professional development program
About the SPDP program
Register for a Supervisor workshop
Workshop 1 - Practical Skills for Supervisors
Practical Skills for Supervisors incorporates the overarching themes of developing trainee expertise and using coaching techniques to improve feedback practise. This workshop focuses on delivering feedback using two frameworks, the GROW model and the four areas of feedback. By using these models, supervisors can facilitate change and growth in trainees towards expert performance.
- Develop a culture for learning
- Provide feedback and improve performance
- Deliver feedback in challenging situations
Workshop 2 -Teaching and Learning in Healthcare Settings
Teaching and Learning in Healthcare Settings provides a range of teaching strategies to manage and overcome challenges supervisors face in a complex healthcare setting. These strategies include planning for learning, differentiated instructions for multi-level groups, and using teaching techniques such as questioning. This workshop explores some cultural aspects that may impact on learning, including the hidden curriculum, tribalism and the need for effective role modelling.
- Outline the challenges supervisors face in the healthcare setting
- Identify the strategies supervisors can use to maximise teaching opportunities
- Evaluate personal attitudes, beliefs and behavior and its influence on supervisory practice
- Assess workplace culture issues that can affect education experiences
Workshop 3 - Work-based Learning and Assessment
Work-based learning and assessment is a complex and necessary part of physician training. The challenges of undertaking work-based learning and assessment amidst the complexities of the healthcare environment are many and varied. This workshop offers techniques and solutions to these challenges that will help supervisors in their vital role.
- Discuss the purpose and importance of work-based learning and assessment
- Analyse the process of planning for learning and assessment
- Identify the challenges and solutions associated with work-based assessment in a complex environment
- Draw on evidence of learning and achievement to determine overall performance and progression
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the supervisors workshop page for further information.