The Survey is an initiative to help improve the quality of education and training experiences for trainees and educators.
The Survey results inform how we can best support and improve training across Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand. It's independently administered by research company Big Village (formerly ENGINE) and covers broad topics aligned to the Training Provider Standards. The College receives anonymous survey data only.
In 2022, trainees in Australia were invited to provide their feedback through the well-established Medical Training Survey, rather than Physician Training Survey. The Medical Training Survey link could be accessed at the end of the re-registration process with the Medical Board of Australia.
Access the Physician Training Survey
Big Village administered the survey through a unique link sent via email and SMS. The 2022 survey was shortened to take only 15 minutes to complete.
In response to findings from previous Physician Training Surveys, we:
- identified training settings and programs with high reported satisfaction ratings
- provided feedback to training settings with more than 5 responses via an interactive results dashboard
- identified settings with concerning responses around workload, wellbeing, and workplace culture and asked CEOs to consider and respond to the feedback.
We used the data to underpin our initiatives, including:
Help us help you
Participation is voluntary but low response rates limit our ability to advocate for training improvements. A high level of participation allows us to use the data meaningfully, review Training Provider accreditation and identify areas for improvement. Without your feedback, we can’t advocate on your behalf.
We want trainees and educators to provide honest feedback to help identify where training experiences can be improved. The 2022 survey will help us:
- understand the extent to which training settings meet the Training Provider Standards
- identify what’s working well and areas for improving quality and safety
- identify and address wellbeing and fatigue issues
- identify where additional support is required for educators
- provide training settings with data to encourage and focus improvement
- provide training committees with data to inform accreditation processes
- monitor longitudinal trends in trainee and educator experiences of our training programs.
The survey results help us meet a specialist medical Training Provider accreditation requirement for the Australian and New Zealand Medical Councils.
You give your consent when you complete and submit your survey.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time without providing a reason and you will not face any consequences for doing so. Contact Big Village to withdraw.
Before data analysis, withdrawing consent will result in the removal of all personal, demographic and response data from survey reports. Once data analysis has begun, individual responses cannot be removed as they have been anonymised.
The survey contains a series of multiple choice questions and one free text question on broad topics aligned to our Training Provider Standards. You can provide further comments about workplace training at the end of your survey.
Survey topics include:
- learning environment and opportunities
- training governance and management
- training resources
- feedback and assessment
- support and wellbeing
- supervision and educator capacity
- COVID-19 impacts