We have a duty of care to ensure the safety of patients, our trainees and educators. Some survey questions can reveal safety concerns. Our managing a concern process identifies these concerns, provides support to respondents and prompts Training Providers to address the concerns.
When concerning responses reach a defined threshold, we contact Training Program Directors and training settings. We request a written response on how the concern has been locally investigated and validated and how it will be addressed.
Define a concern
A concern is something that is likely to adversely impact:
- workplace training environment and functions, affecting patient or doctor safety or the quality of the training environment
- health and wellbeing of an educator or trainee.
Concerns are managed at 2 levels:
- individual respondent level
- overall Training Provider level
Individual respondent level
If you raise a concern about your health and wellbeing, we want to support you to get the help you need. All respondents will be asked to complete a follow up section of the survey where you may:
- consent for Big Village (formerly ENGINE) to organise a confidential follow-up with a professional counselling service, and;
- provide your contact details to facilitate this follow-up.
If you raise your concerns in the free-text response question in the survey, Big Village will contact you to see if you consent to be followed up.
If you consent, Big Village will share your contact details with Converge International, a 24/7 confidential counselling, support and advice service. Your identity is not shared with the service unless you’ve given consent. Big Village doesn’t share this information with us or your employer. We’re only informed of the number of referrals to Converge International.
Your concern will never be made public by us or by Big Village.
Training Provider level
We inform Training Providers of survey questions with concerning responses and corresponding scores.
Information about the number of survey responses is not released where there are less than 5.
Where at least 5 responses have been received for a provider, the following data will be reported:
- survey question with the concerning response
- corresponding aggregated score for the question
- percentage of respondents registered at the setting who participated in the survey
You can consent within the survey to be notified if aggregate concerns are communicated to your Training Provider.
Process for managing multiple concerns at a Training Provider