Local selection into Basic and Advanced Training should be rigorous, fair and transparent.
The RACP doesn't appoint trainee physicians to vocational training positions itself but does set and monitor standards for selection, and provides advice on the selection and recruitment of trainee physicians. Health service employers also play a role by determining the number of training positions available at their site. To assist, the RACP has developed resources to support Training Providers and Fellows with their local selection practices.
Trainee Selection and Recruitment Guide
It begins with setting up a Selection Committee and planning the selection process.
Key tasks in designing a description that is reflective of the role.
A transparent and informative application process is the goal.
The most important step of the recruitment process.
How to assess references, compile shortlists and candidate feedback.
Once you make your offer and finalise the recruitment process, what's next?
We want to assist local selection programs with supporting Indigenous trainees entering training.
How the recruitment or selection of trainee physicians into vocational training position occurs is the responsibility of the employing health service. They determine who and how many medical trainees are employed into training positions in Australia and New Zealand and how recruitment to vocational training positions is conducted.
||Training Setting or Network
- Defines the principles and standards for selection into training
- Determines the eligibility criteria and the selection criteria for its training programs
- Provides guidance and resources to training providers to assist them with their local selection process
- Accredits training providers
- Conducts local selection and recruitment of new trainees
- Ultimate decision-maker of which medical trainees receive a position within the setting
- Ensures compliance to appropriate governing legislation
- Complies with RACP selection policies, guidelines and Accreditation Standards
Download the Local Selection into Training: At a Glance poster.
Guidelines for Training Providers on Local Selection for Training have been developed outlining how principles of the RACP Selection into Training Policy and Training Provider Accreditation Standards can be applied in practice to the local selection of physician trainees for its Training Providers.