Education and training principles
The principles were reviewed in October 2020 and minor changes were applied to reflect the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
We've developed a new set of education and training principles to guide our decision-making during the pandemic and provide our position on potential impacts to training.
- Providing patient care for individuals and the community whilst maintaining a healthy workforce are fundamental priorities at this time.
- Trainees should be reassured that the impact of COVID-19 will be considered 'exceptional circumstances' and any absences from training as a result will be treated fairly and with compassion.
- The College recognises that approved training may be significantly disrupted due to COVID-19. Trainees may be redeployed in order to support the COVID-19 response. For each training program, guidance has been developed in consultation with Training Committees on how COVID-19 support rotations will be assessed, taking into account the current training requirements. More information can be found in your Basic Training or Advanced Training handbook.
- All College Training Committees will act consistently, transparently and fairly.
- Trainees must continue to receive appropriate orientation and supervision, even if they are redeployed to a different clinical area.
- Support is available to trainees and supervisors who may want to consider or discuss increasing or decreasing training hours or apply for interruption of training as a result of family or personal commitments changes resulting from COVID-19.
- It’s recognised that the disruptions to training caused by COVID-19 may have flow on effects to subsequent years for some trainees. Trainees should keep detailed and accurate records of changes to their training program.
- The College appreciates the overload on health systems during this crisis and understands that the normal cycle of accreditation may require adjustment. Any requirement for accreditation site visits will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and in consultation with the site.
- The College will communicate updates to all members as decisions are made, including information relating to exams, training requirements, training time and accreditation.
Help us improve this page
Have you found all of the information you need? What else would you like to see on this page?