The AFOEM Logo
Traditionally, bees have represented work and endeavour. On the AFOEM logo, the bees represent primary, secondary and tertiary industries, encompassing all facets of work. The chevron in heraldry signifies protection, and here it implies that work and endeavour proceed with sensible practice and precautions to afford protection to workers. Taken as a whole, the logo illustrates an organisation in the southern hemisphere giving protection to workers in all facets of industry.
History of occupational medicine
Bernardino Ramazzini is considered the founder of occupational/industrial medicine. He was an Italian physician, who was born on November 3, 1633, at Carpi, Modena, and who died on November 5, 1714, in Padua, Venice. His studies of occupational diseases and advocacy of protective measures for workers encouraged eventual passage of factory safety and workmen's compensation laws. In 1700 he wrote the first important book on occupational diseases and industrial hygiene. Hence the Ramazzini Award for the Training Program.
History of environmental medicine
AFOEM adopted environmental in its name in 2007. In 2011, the Environmental Medicine Working Group (EMWG) was established to explore/research environmental medicine and the role of AFOEM in environmental medicine. A review paper was produced by EMWG in March 2012 establishing the definition of environmental medicine for AFOEM in terms of the training and practice of an OEP. It also established AFOEM’s future strategic directions in environmental medicine which are being progressively implemented presently.
Download the report here Environmental Medicine Working Group Report (PDF 339KB).
History of the Faculty
The Australian College of Occupational Medicine was inaugurated in 1984 by the Governor General at the first Convocation in Melbourne. The College was set up as a limited liability company in Victoria in 1982, with the principle objectives of establishing and maintaining the highest standards of learning, skill and conduct in the field of occupational medicine.
On the establishment of The Australasian Faculty of Occupational Medicine by The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) in 1993, the decision was taken to dissolve the College and relocate the administrative base to the RACP office in Macquarie Street, Sydney. In 1994, the College joined with the Faculty.
In 1989, the National Specialist Qualification Advisory Committee in Australia (now a function of the Australian Medical Council) gave formal recognition to The Australasian College of Occupational Medicine as the authority in the Principal Speciality of Occupational Medicine and recognised the Fellowship of the College as the appropriate qualification for specialist recognition. Recognition was transferred to the Faculty in 1994.
The Faculty undertakes the professional training of occupational physicians. Before doctors are admitted as Fellows, they must undertake a program of rigorous assessment including the satisfactory completion of approved academic coursework, work in supervised training posts and other assessment components including the certifying examinations. The training program has recently been accredited by the Australian Medical Council. The Faculty's activities are supported by regional committees. These groups hold local scientific meetings and other training related activities. National and international meetings are also organised.
Publications on topical issues such as health surveillance, fitness for work health promotion and management of drugs and alcohol in the workplace have also been produced and made available to interested users.