AFOEM Stage B Written Examination
The Stage B Written Examination tests a trainee’s knowledge in Occupational and Environmental Medicine through scenario based, extended responses.
Trainees must meet the following criteria to sit the Stage B Examination:
- be a Stage A trainee of AFOEM
- have an Educational Supervisor
- have completed an Advanced Life Support course and provided the Faculty with a certificate of completion
- be currently registered and approved for the training term
- have paid all outstanding fees
- have certification of the most recent training period for all completed teaching and learning activities and assessments completed
- have completed the relevant University Graduate Diploma or equivalent and submitted the certificate to the Faculty prior to sitting the exam
- have completed a minimum of 18 months active certified training (3 training periods)
- have been endorsed by the Faculty Education Committee for special consideration, for example you're an Overseas Trained Physician
Trainees are allowed 5 attempts to pass the Stage B Written Examination.
See the Progression Through Training Policy and the FAQs for more information about examination attempts.
Application dates for AFOEM Stage B Written Examination will be published in the AFOEM eBulletin a month prior to applications opening.
Trainees must pay a fee to sit the exam. Refer to the membership fees page for fees to sit the Stage B Written Examination in Australia or New Zealand.
The Stage B Written Examination is held in a number of capital cities across Australia and New Zealand.
Candidates may have to travel to an examination location if trainee numbers are too low to facilitate an examination in their local area.
The Stage B Written Examination consists of:
- Paper 1 – 5 questions
- Paper 2 – 5 questions
You will have have 3 hours, plus 15 minutes reading time, for each exam paper.
The examination content is based on the AFOEM training curriculum.
- Paper 1 – Domains 10, 30, 40 and 80 but is likely to refer in parts to other domains
- Paper 2 – Domains 10, 20, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90
Occupational and Environmental Medicine Advanced Training Curriculum
Occupational and Environmental Medicine Advanced Training Handbook
Examination learning objectives for the examination (2012)