Risks and benefits knowledge builder
10 May 2018
A new course about communicating risks and benefits of treatment options is now available to RACP Members via the eLearning@RACP Online Resources hub.
Equipped with content from the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care, the course gives Fellows or people with a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirement the chance to earn CPD credits.
With bite sized information, accessible anywhere any time — the course is a great tool for time poor physicians or trainees to enhance their skills and keep up-to-date with latest clinical advice.
The course gives Members the knowledge to:
- describe why it is important for clinicians to effectively communicate benefits, harms, trade-offs and uncertainties with patients
- explain the inter-relationship between shared decision making, evidence-based medicine and patient-centred care in the context of communicating benefits and harm
- list key communication skills needed when talking with patients about evidence
- explain how to effectively communicate statistical information to patients
- outline the role of decision support tools, potential uses and where to locate them.
Access the course online now.