College Policy and Advocacy Council
The College Policy and Advocacy Council and Advisory Committee
Within the College there consists two cross-College policy and advocacy groups, the Council and its Advisory Committee. The Council is the peak decision making and strategic planning body while the Advisory Committee meets between Council meetings to make decisions that need to be finalised in a shorter timeframe.
In matters of Policy and Advocacy, the Council and Advisory Committee were established to:-
College Policy and Advocacy Committee by-laws (PDF 144KB)
The College Policy and Advocacy Committee (CPAC) Guiding Principles (PDF 75KB)
- determine the key policy priorities and activities for the whole College in a manner that aligns the needs of Members and the community;
- consult with Specialty Societies and other external bodies on policy and advocacy matters and priorities to maximise effective outcomes;
- respond to emerging policy and advocacy issues that are relevant to the College Members and the community; and
- promote the role of the College, Fellows and trainees in improving the quality and safety of health care in Australia and New Zealand;
These principles are intended to inform decision-making around policy priorities and allocation of P&A resources.
Who is on the College Policy and Advocacy Council?
The Council is a representational body of 27 members, including those members of the Advisory Committee.
The Council is going through a turnover period, as such some of the positions are waiting to change over whilst their representative College bodies also undergo turnover and identify their Council member.
(in alphabetical order by surname)
- Greg Bowring, AFRM President-Elect and Faculty P&A Committee (PAC) Chair
- Jeff Brown, NZ Committee (TBC)
- Nick Buckmaster, CPAC AC
- Don Campbell, AMD President-Elect
- Sophia Couzos, CPAC AC
- Gregory Crawford, AChPM President
- John Eastwood, CPAC AC
- Niki Ellis, CPAC Chair
- Christian Gericke, CPAC Deputy Chair
- Warren Harrex, AFOEM PAC Chair
- Noel Hayman, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Committee Chair
- George Laking, CPAC AC and Maori Health Committee
- Adrian Lee, NSW/ACT Regional Committee
- Winston Liauw, CPAC AC
- Nick Lintzeris, AChAM President-Elect
- Jenny Martin, CPAC AC
- Rajesh Raj, TAS Regional Committee
- Helen Rhodes, WA Regional Committee (temp)
- Nathan Ryder, AChSHM Committee Policy and Advocacy Lead
- Judy Savige, VIC Regional Committee
- Gillian Shenfield, CPAC AC
- Li-Zsa Tan, QLD Regional Committee
- Pat Tuohy, PCHD PAC Chair
- Robert Van Den Berg, SA Regional Committee
- Peter Wallis, NT Regional Committee
- AFPHM (vacant)
- College Trainee Committee (vacant)
Who is on the College Policy and Advocacy Council Advisory Committee?
The Advisory Committee is a nine-member body, established through a merits based selection and appointment process, including the Chair and Deputy Chair of Council.
- Nick Buckmaster, member
- Sophie Couzos, member
- John Eastwood, member
- Niki Ellis, Chair
- Christian Gericke, Deputy Chair
- George Laking, member
- Winston Liauw, member
- Jenny Martin, member
- Gillian Shenfield, member
Current CPAC–AC term runs 2017 - 2020.
Contact the Policy and Advocacy Unit at CPAC@racp.edu.au for further information on the College Policy and Advocacy Council and its Advisory Committee.