Eric Susman Prize
Nominations are open from 15 June to 15 September 2022.
The Eric Susman Prize is a prestigious award presented by the College for best contribution to the knowledge of any branch of internal medicine (adult medicine and paediatrics).
Learn about Dr Eric Susman who the prize honours.
Professor Flavia Cicuttini | Joint 2021 recipient
Flavia Cicuttini is Head of Rheumatology Alfred Hospital and the Musculoskeletal Unit Monash University, and an NHMRC Leadership Fellow. Her principle research interests are the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. Her work using novel methods for assessing joint health have resulted in new understanding of the pathogenesis of common musculoskeletal conditions such as osteoarthritis, resulting in novel approaches to prevention and treatment. She has supervised 20 PhD students to completion.
Professor Stephen Nicholls | Joint 2021 recipient
Stephen Nicholls is the Director of MonashHeart, Director of Victorian Heart Institute and Professor of Cardiology at Monash University. He will be the Director of the Victorian Heart Hospital. He completed his medical residency at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, cardiology training at John Hunter Hospital and PhD at the University of Adelaide, prior to holding a postdoctoral fellowship and faculty appointment at the Cleveland Clinic and the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute. His research interests focus on the role of metabolic risk factors and imaging in atherosclerosis, with work spanning from early discovery to leadership of large clinical trials.
See past Eric Susman Prize recipients.
Nominees must be:
- a Fellow of the RACP, its Divisions, Faculties or Chapters
- nominated by a Fellow or trainee of the RACP
Nominees cannot submit a nomination on their own behalf.
The recipient of the Eric Susman Prize receives:
- the Eric Susman Medal, presented at the 2023 RACP College Ceremony
- $5000 cash prize
- return economy domestic or trans-Tasman airfares and up to 3 nights’ accommodation to attend the 2023 College Ceremony
- an invitation to present their research as part of the 2023 RACP Congress program
Read the Terms & Conditions (Prizes) before submitting a nomination.
Inform the nominee of your intent to submit a nomination.
Email a complete nomination form (DOC) addressing the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org together with:
- CV of the nominee
- two letters of support
- other relevant supporting documentation (optional)
Note: A nomination is not complete and cannot be progressed unless all required documentation is received.
Download form (DOC)
The Eric Susman Prize recipient will have demonstrated an outstanding and lasting contribution to the field of internal medicine in the areas of research, teaching and/or clinical medicine.
Your nomination must:
- identify 2 key pieces of the published work by the nominee during the 5-year period from 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2021 that:
Note: 'Published work' is generally defined as being available to the profession by means of either books or articles published in recognised scientific journals.
- highlight the nominee’s contribution to research and the impact the research has had
- have the nominee as the major contributor
- demonstrate the nominee's sustained ongoing links with Australia or Aotearoa New Zealand
- give an appreciation and evaluation of the contribution of the nominee over the relevant period, including:
- details of the contribution made by the person nominated in the field of internal medicine (research, teaching or clinical medicine)
- the originality of the research and the standing of the nominee in his or her branch of medicine
- an assessment of the contribution of the nominee in relation to others in the field
- provide information around the translation into clinical practice and impact
- indicate the best articles in support of the nominee
The Grants Advisory Committee takes into consideration whether:
- the work has a strong and direct bearing on clinical medicine and contains a component of patient care
- the nominee is an ordinary Fellow rather than a someone admitted to Fellowship by a special provision
The Grants Advisory Committee reserves the right not to award the Eric Susman Prize if nominations received don't sufficiently meet the criteria.
For more information about the Eric Susman Prize, contact the RACP Foundation.
Terms and conditions
Past prize recipients
College and Congress Prizes
Division, Faculty and Chapter Awards & Prizes