Penelope Lowe Prize
Applications closed Thursday 30 January 2020.
The Penelope Lowe Prize is awarded to the best-case presentation by an Australasian Chapter of Sexual Health Medicine (AChSHM) trainee at the AChSHM Annual Scientific Meeting.
The Prize is named in memory of Dr Penelope Lowe FAChSHM and former Chapter Trainee Representative.
An applicant must be a registered trainee of the AChSHM.
Previous Penelope Lowe Prize recipients are ineligible to apply.
The successful recipient receives $500 and a certificate.
All abstract submissions are assessed on:
- its importance or how interesting the clinical issue is (necessary)
- whether it’s an emerging or ground-breaking treatment or a recently discovered facet of an established area of medicine (encouraged)
- the educational value of the case (considered)
The Award Review Panel will select abstracts that have demonstrated the highest standard to progress onto the oral presentation at the AChSHM Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM).
If you’re selected to make an oral presentation, prepare your case in consultation with your Supervisor. Supervisors are encouraged to attend the session to support their trainee and provide expert comment.
Assessing the oral presentations will be a Judging Panel comprised of the Chapter President or President-Elect, Education Chair and a Fellow who is not a Supervisor of any trainee presenting.
On the day of the oral presentation at the ASM:
- Trainees give a 10-minute case presentation.
- Following a presentation, the session chair will open the floor to the Judging Panel or audience to ask questions regarding the facts of the case, to be answered by the trainee.
- The Judging Panel will assess each presentation on the:
- quality of presentation
- educational value of the case
- discussion of the literature and knowledge displayed
- response to questions
The Prize recipient will be announced at the ASM.
The Judging Panel and the AChSHM reserves the right to not to award the Prize if all presentations don't meet a sufficient standard.
For any questions or enquiries about the Penelope Lowe Prize, contact us