Eric Susman Prize
Named in honour of Dr Eric Susman, this prestigious award is offered by the College for best contribution to the knowledge of any branch of internal medicine.
Nominations are now being accepted.
Closing date: Monday, 9 October 2017 5.00 pm (AEDT)
Download Nomination form (.doc 106KB)
The prize is $5,000, return economy airfares and accommodation in order to attend the presentation of the Eric Susman Medal at Congress the following year.
Eligibility Criteria and Application Process
- The nominee must be a Fellow of The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (may be a member of a Division, Faculty or Chapter). Nominations from Fellows on their own behalf will not be accepted.
- The contribution for which the Fellow is nominated for the 2017 prize must have appeared as published work during the five-year period between 1 January 2012 and 31 December 2016. “Published work” is defined as generally available to the profession by means of either books or articles published in recognised scientific journals.
The nominator is required to identify two key pieces of published work from the five year period that highlight the individual’s contribution to research and the impact that this research has had.
The nominee must have strong ongoing links with Australia or New Zealand and must be the major contributor to any paper or piece of work identified.
- The Committee will take into consideration whether:
- the work has a strong and direct bearing on clinical medicine and contains a component of patient care; and
- the nominee is an ordinary Fellow rather than a person admitted to Fellowship by a special provision.
The nominator should give an appreciation and evaluation of the contribution of the nominee over the relevant period. This must include details of the contribution made by the person nominated in the field of internal medicine (research, teaching or clinical medicine), and refer especially to the originality of the research and the standing of the nominee in his or her branch of medicine. The assessment of the contribution of the nominee in relation to others in the field is emphasised as being an essential part of the nomination.
The nominator is also to provide information around the translation into clinical practice and impact.
Nominators are asked to indicate the best articles in support of the nominee.
Nomination forms and supporting documentation are to be submitted by the nominator in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Grants Advisory Committee (GAC) will consider nominations for the award in October 2017 and the recipient will be announced in November 2017. If no contribution is adjudged by the GAC to be of sufficiently high standard, an award will not be made.
The College Terms & Conditions (Prizes) (PDF 62KB) will apply.
For any further information please contact the RACP Foundation at email@example.com
Past Prize Recipients
Past award recipients are listed here