AYAMC Mid-year Communiqué – July 2019
Highlights of the Adolescent & Young Adult Medicine Committee (AYAMC) activities for the first half of 2019.
- Development of the Adolescent & Young Adult Medicine position statement continues with input from relevant stakeholders.
- The AYAMC are reviewing the Working with Young People eLearning resource. Content updates will occur over the coming months to ensure that the resource is an up to date and knowledgeable guide.
- The AYAMC is seeking ways to better engage with Adult Medicine Division Fellows and trainees to ensure that both paediatric and adult medicine concerns and priorities are included in the committee’s ongoing efforts to address the crucial transition process from paediatric to adult care.
Policy and Advocacy
The AYAMC have been consulted on numerous policy and advocacy matters over the last six months including the following:
- DoH consultation on the implementation plans for the National Blood Borne Viruses and Sexually Transmissible Infections Strategies
- Employment, Poverty and Health Statement of Principles
- College submission to MBS review reports in primary care which are relevant to paediatrics
- College submission to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety
- Productivity Commission's inquiry into mental health
- Private Health Insurance Reforms - FYI from Medibank
- Draft RACP submission to 3rd National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
- NSW Special Commission of Inquiry into the Drug 'Ice' - Issues Papers 3 and 4
- RACP 2019 Australian Government Election Statement
- AChAM-led Submission to the NSW Special Commission of Inquiry into the Drug 'Ice'
- Request for the RACP to join the Obesity Collective
- Draft National Clinical Quality Registry Strategy
- Medical Board of Australia public consultation on clearer regulation of medical practitioners who provide complementary and unconventional medicine and emerging treatments
- Request for RACP endorsement of the Pill Testing 4 Queensland protocol for pill testing trial
- Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System
- Proposed amendments to the Coroners Act 2009 (NSW)
Recent RACP submissions, position statements and policies can be viewed in the Policy and Advocacy Library.
I would like to welcome new members to the AYAM Committee:
- Dr Miranda Paraskeva, Adult Medicine Division representative
- Dr Fiona Fargie, Australasian Chapter of Sexual Health Medicine representative
Dr Fargie has taken over the AChSHM representative position from Dr Siobhan Bourke, who stepped off the committee in March this year. I wish to thank Dr Bourke for all her contributions to the work of the committee.
Our full membership can be viewed on the AYAMC web page.
Resources for your information:
Your feedback and queries are always welcomed. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Rod McClymont
Chair, Adolescent & Young Adult Medicine Committee