Nominations closed 31 August 2021.
The RACP awards the Neil Hamilton Fairley Medal every 5 years to an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the field of medicine. Fellows of the RACP nominate candidates to receive the medal.
The Neil Hamilton Fairley Medal honours the internationally renowned work of esteemed Australian physician,
Brigadier Sir Neil Hamilton Fairley KBE CStJ FRACP FRCP FRCPE FRS. Neil Hamilton Fairley is remembered as a visionary whose knowledge and persistence led to numerous vital contributions in medicine. The RACP established the award in 1969 with the generosity of Lady Mary Hamilton Fairley.
A special award was presented in 2018 to Professor Alan Mackay-Sim by the Royal College of Physicians in London as part of their 500th Anniversary celebration. Alan was also recognised as Australian of the Year in 2017.
About Sir Neil Hamilton Fairley
Sir Neil Hamilton Fairley was an esteemed Australian physician, medical scientist and army officer who played a significant role in the medical service of World War I and II. His research greatly advanced the field of tropical medicine.
Following his work in WWII, Fairley was appointed as Consulting Physician at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases and as Wellcome Professor of Tropical Medicine at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Fairley was knighted in 1950 in recognition of his tenacious and invaluable service. He remained active in his practice and continued to be a member of multiple committees until his death in 1966.
Sir Neil Hamilton Fairley is remembered as a visionary whose knowledge and persistence led to numerous vital contributions in medicine. The RACP established the award in 1969 with the generosity of Lady Mary Hamilton Fairley.
Read more about the life of Sir Neil Hamilton Fairley.
Professor Roger Reddel AO | 2017 recipient
Professor Roger Reddel is the Director of Children's Medical Research Institute (CMRI) and Lorimer Dods Professor, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney.
A medical graduate of the University of Sydney, Roger trained in medical oncology and was admitted to Fellowship in 1985. He further completed a PhD in cancer cell biology and undertook postdoctoral research in molecular carcinogenesis at the National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland.
On returning to Sydney, Roger set up a lab at CMRI to study cellular immortalisation, an almost-universal characteristic of cancer. He has made many discoveries regarding the enzyme telomerase upon which 85% of cancers depend for their growth, and the alternative mechanism utilised by many of the remaining 10 to 15%. The aim of this research is to develop new forms of cancer treatment.
Roger was awarded the Ramaciotti Medal for Excellence in Biomedical Research and the NSW Premier's Award for Outstanding Cancer Researcher, and elected as a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science.
See our past Neil Hamilton Fairley Medal recipients.
- can be an RACP Fellow or a non-member
- must be nominated by an RACP Fellow
- cannot self-nominate
The Medal recipient will receive:
- the Neil Hamilton Fairley Medal, presented at the RACP College Ceremony
- full registration to 2022 RACP Congress
- return economy airfares and accommodation to attend the College Ceremony and 2022 RACP Congress (details to be confirmed upon the announcement of the 2022 RACP Congress program)
The nominator must:
- express appreciation of contributions made by the nominee and evaluate how these have positively impacted the field of medicine
- provide details of noted contributions and specify whether are in the field of research, teaching or clinical medicine
- specify the standing of the nominee in his or her branch of medicine
The Grants Advisory Committee considers:
- the contributions made by the nominee in relation to those of others — an essential part of the nomination
- whether the work has a strong and direct influence on the field of medicine
Members of the Grants Advisory Committee consider nominations for the award and make a recommendation about the merit of nominations to the RACP President and Board.
The Committee reserves the right to not award the Neil Hamilton Fairley Medal if they determine that the nominations received are not of a sufficiently high standard.