Gerry Murphy Prize
Submissions closed 21 November 2021.
The Gerry Murphy Prize is awarded annually to the best oral presentation by an Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (AFPHM) Advanced Trainee.
Trainees across Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand have the opportunity to present on public health issues at regional competitions hosted by the AFPHM Regional Committees.
The Prize is made possible through a generous bequest by the late Dr Gerry Murphy FAFPHM.
Join us virtually for the Gerry Murphy Prize trainee presentations on contentious public health issues. Register for your preferred location and time:
South Australia regional presentations | 9 November 2021
Western Australia presentations | 19 November 2021
Victoria regional presentations | 29 November 2021
Northern Territory regional presentations | 1 December 2021
You must be a trainee currently enrolled in the Advanced Training in Public Health Medicine Program.
Past Gerry Murphy Prize winners and regional finalists are eligible to apply again.
Finalists selected to represent their region at the Population Health Congress 2022 in Adelaide will receive:
- full trainee Congress registration
- return economy airfares for travel to and from their home town to Congress
- an invitation to the Faculty Dinner at Congress
The Gerry Murphy Prize winner receives:
- $500 prize money (in AUD or NZD based on the recipient's region)
- a certificate signed by the AFPHM President
- copies of The People's Health – Volume 1: Public Health in Australia 1788 – 1950 and Volume 2: Public Health in Australia 1950 – Present, by Dr Milton Lewis FAFPHM
The Gerry Murphy Prize regional competitions are held in November every year.
All trainees will have 10 minutes maximum for their presentation and a further 3 to 5 minutes for questions.
Note: If there is only one eligible trainee that applies in a region, that trainee will be placed into another region’s competition.
- The regional competition judging panels consist of at least 3 AFPHM Fellows.
- The judging criteria will consider:
- the AFPHM Oral Presentation Assessment criteria, which forms part of the Advanced Training in Public Health Medicine program
- the extent that a trainee covers background, objectives, methodology, results and implications
- additional criteria relating to quality of project and importance of finding
- A finalist is announced at the end of each regional competition.
- All finalists will be contacted by the RACP Foundation and provided details about the competition final.
Note: Trainees may choose to submit the judgement outcome as part of their overall assessment. They must select this option on the application form or advise the AFPHM Executive Officer of this choice prior to the competition.
It's the responsibility of the trainee to lodge the assessment.
All AFPHM Regional Committees reserve the right not to nominate a regional finalist if all submissions or presentations fail to meet a sufficiently high standard.
The final competition judging panel consists of at least 3 AFPHM Fellows. A winner is announced at the end of the competition.
For information on Gerry Murphy Prize regional competition events, contact the AFPHM.
Contact the RACP Foundation for all other enquiries about the Gerry Murphy Prize and the final competition.
Past prize recipients
Division, Faculty and Chapter awards and prizes
College and Congress prizes