Gerry Murphy Prize
Applications for all regions have closed.
The Gerry Murphy Prize is awarded to the best oral presentation by an Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (AFPHM) Advanced Trainee at the RACP Congress in May 2020.
The Prize is made possible through a generous bequest to the AFPHM by the late Dr Gerry Murphy FAFPHM.
You must be a trainee currently enrolled in the Advanced Training in Public Health Medicine program.
Past Gerry Murphy Prize winners and regional finalists trainees are eligible to apply.
All regional finalists receive:
- full 2020 RACP Congress trainee registration, including gala dinner
- return economy airfares to attend the 2020 RACP Congress in Melbourne, Victoria
- attendance at the AFPHM President's Dinner at RACP Congress
The national Gerry Murphy Prize recipient also receives:
- AUD$500 prize money
- a certificate signed by the AFPHM President presented at the gala dinner
- copies of The People's Health – Volume 1: Public Health in Australia 1788 – 1950 and Volume 2: Public Health in Australia 1950 – Present, by Dr Milton Lewis FAFPHM
- The regional competition judging panels consists of at least 3 AFPHM Fellows.
- All trainees will have 10 minutes maximum for their presentation and a further 5 minutes for questions.
- The judging criteria will consider:
- the AFPHM Oral Presentation Assessment criteria, which forms part of the Advanced Training in Public Health Medicine program, as the judgment outcome can apply towards the trainee’s assessment
- the extent that a trainee covers background, objectives, methodology, results and implications
- additional criteria relating to quality of project and importance of finding
- Each regional finalist is announced at the end of each regional competition.
- All regional finalists will be contacted by the RACP Foundation regarding details of the final competition held at RACP Congress.
All AFPHM Regional Committees reserve the right not to nominate a regional finalist if all submissions received or presentations judged do not meet the sufficient standard.
- The final competition judging panel consists of at least 3 AFPHM Fellows.
- All presentations are to be scored by the judges using the same criteria used at the regional competitions.
- The winner will be announced at the end of the competition.
- The official presentation of the Gerry Murphy Prize will take place at the RACP Congress gala dinner.
For information on Gerry Murphy Prize regional competition events, contact the AFPHM.
Contact the RACP Foundation for all other enquiries about the Gerry Murphy Prize and the final competition.
Past prize recipients
Division, Faculty and Chapter awards and prizes
College and Congress prizes