Seasonal influenza vaccination under the National Immunisation Program
07 Mar 2023
The Department is pleased to share correspondence from the Australian Government Chief Medical Officer (CMO), Professor Paul Kelly, providing advice on seasonal influenza vaccination under the National Immunisation Program (NIP) in 2023.
- Annual vaccination is the most important measure to prevent influenza and its complications. It is recommended for all people ≥6 months of age.
- Influenza vaccination is particularly important for those most at risk, with the need to focus on improving uptake in children under 5, First Nations people and pregnant women.
- National Immunisation Program (NIP) influenza vaccines will be available to order from April, subject to local supply arrangements.
- Influenza vaccines can be co-administered (given on the same day) with any COVID-19 vaccine.
- It is mandatory to report all influenza vaccines administered to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) both NIP and private vaccines.
The CMO correspondence includes the following documents:
Further advice and resources will become available on the Department of Health and Aged Care’s website in advance of the program rollout in April.
Conversations with parents and pregnant women around influenza vaccination
The SKAI communication package is an evidence-based suite of communication tools aimed at improving conversations between vaccination providers and parents of young children, pregnant women and families about vaccination. SKAI was developed by the National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance (NCIRS) in partnership with the University of Sydney and other collaborators and includes the following influenza vaccination-specific resources to support vaccination providers in conversations with parents of young children and pregnant women:
As part of SKAI, this year resources are being developed specifically to support providers in their conversations with First Nations audiences around influenza vaccination and will be made available ahead of the influenza season.
Get the latest National Immunisation Program updates by subscribing to the email list.